Monday, January 3, 2011

Pain-Killers

Tom was becoming depressed and Aunt Polly was quite worried about it. She tried tons of different treatments but none of them seemed to cure him. Finally she ordered some pain-killers. This worked great for Tom. So much so, that he loved the pain-killers. He became addicted to them. It became a drug to him. And when he was off of them, he became 'sick' again. He wanted Becky back. But she was sick too. Finally when he saw her again, she ignored him.

Chapter 13 adds to all of the drama between Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher. But besides that, this is also a very funny chapter - or at least I thought so. I found myself with quite the smirk on my face as I was reading about Tom getting addicted to the pain-killers. Or when Tom feeds pain-killers to the cat and the cat goes psycho. Just another example of Mark Twain using humor as an artistic device!


No comments:

Post a Comment